Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Swimming--technique, tools, etc.

Swimming, meaning the sport, is something we as a species do with a shocking lack of grace.  Even the best of us bears more resemblance to shark bait than a waterborne mammal making deliberate efforts to get somewhere.

As a youth, I was a competitive swimmer, devoting myself to this retrospectively silly and boring pursuit to the exclusion of other sports that I likely would have enjoyed, to the exclusion of a balanced life, proper rest, friends. . .  So I've got a little baggage around this particular leg of the Triathlon, which has to this point kept me from putting a significant effort into it.  Yet it's far and away my best leg, relatively speaking.  So I'm going to set the past, and my fundamentally land-based nature, aside in the service of overall speed.

To this end, I took my new Go Pro HD Father's day present to the pool to video some swimming.  I attached it to a helmet mount, the helmet mount to a rock, and set it on the bottom of the pool.  In addition to cute kid swimming videos likely to wind up on FB, this is what I came up with:



For the sake of comparison, here's Michael Phelps, our finest specimen of shark bait:


While I clearly ain't no Michael Phelps, I think my technique is pretty good.  Just need to put in some time to get back a little of my youthful swimming strength, hopefully not at too much cost to running/biking.

Suggestions welcome.

1 comment:

Sparfie said...

you look really solid in the water... great roll and your hands/arms look good. i guess the only small quigle, er, quibble would be to keep your feet together more. kinda have them fishtailing a bit. but... not worth changing the rest of your body position to do it.

and... i dont even kick when i swim, they are just dangling along behind me - i figure i will need them the next 14 hours so i save the kicking.