Wednesday, July 27, 2011

PsyOps 101: Getting a handle on the gray matter

For me, one thing that has distinguished Ironman preparation from that of preparation for a marathon or half-Ironman is the smaller margin of error.  Going 140.6 miles involves far more meticulous preparation and execution than a Marathon or even a Half Ironman.  Overtraining can leave you just as stuck as not doing enough.  Nutrition and hydration failures--which I experienced both at Marathon and Half-Ironman distance--could bring about an early end to the race.  More than any format, Long Course IM absolutely requires some degree of thought, planning, and improvisational ability to handle the inevitable SNAFUs, and keep them from going to TARFU or FUBAR

Within the context of sports, I am happily competitive and aggressive by nature.  I want to win; I love to do my best and see what I'm capable of, and I genuinely enjoy a wholehearted effort.  This is well and good for shorter distances, but one of the particular challenges of the Iron Distance is that this approach is highly correlated with burning out.  The cost of burning out can be anything from a slow Marathon, to a walking Marathon, to a DNF.  According to those who have gone before, there's really no chance to  push things until the very end if one wants to finish.

For me, and for most if not all who have the internal drive to attempt a Full IM distance, taking it easy runs contrary to my intrapsychic makeup.  My inner beast craves the raw thrill of pursuing and overtaking prey.  As I found out in the Half-Ironman I did last June, the chase has its own seductive rhythm, which has little regard for pacing or plans.   My inner Competitor wants to be better and faster, for the sheer vanity of it.  And the Boss has to get them all on the same page.

1 comment:

Sparfie said...

just remember that you only immortal for a limited time. ;-)

i would work on eating while working out. flat tires and blisters will happen but if you tummy aint happy, aint nobody happy.

find out what you can chow at the bike to run trans... like a baked potato or glob of lasagna or whatever. you probably already have a great feel for the physical side, how to run a marathon and ride a bike. the trick is to ride fast but not be gassed at the end, its ok to be really tired, but not out of energy. so work on what to eat as food is energy.