Tuesday, March 27, 2012

DESERT TRIATHLON CLASSIC RACE REPORT 

In our customary fashion, we packed the crew off in the Suburban Utility Vehicle for a weekend of triathlon, hotel life, and fine dining.  This weekend's main course: The Desert Triathlon Classic, an International but not Olympic distance (meaning not strictly 1.5/40/10km for S/B/R) race in Palm Desert/Coahuilla, right near Palm Springs.  Race distances were 0.75Miles/40K/6 miles, so it was pretty close. 

The setting was lovely and the pre-race pickup pretty well done.  We got to swim in the lake on the afternoon prior, which was nice. My only issue was that the bike course explanation was a little counterintuitive, and this was worsened by confusing maps with arrows that indicated turns that were not correct come race day.  Luckily, the course was well marked on race day.

Transition setup was pretty standard, as was our routine.  I got up early and set up my wife's stuff while she slept a little and got the kids ready.  Given that it was only a 2 hour-ish race at a protected park with a good playground, we decided our budding babysitter oldest daughter could watch her younger sibs.  I carried a cell phone JIC.

The swim start was in waves, heading straight into the morning sun.  The water was chilly, but not painful.  The buoy was essentially invisible; we were referred to a couple of palm trees on the far shore that marked where it was.  This was not a problem until I got close enough to fail to pick up the buoys and get a little extra swim yardage in before noticing the leftward departure of my compatriots.  No biggie.  Back on course.   

The bike course was my favorite part of this tri, and I'd return just to do a TT on a flat, fast, beautiful, palm-tree lined course.  Even though I let Karen have the race wheels, I felt fast and rode well.  The course was two laps of a flat course.  Power, HR, and cadence all steady and just sub-threshold.  Personal best by >10min, and tantalizingly close to the 1 hour mark.

.Click for larger view
The run course was two laps, again flat, around Lake Coahuilla for an even 6 miles.  It was on dirt, some broken pavement, and pavement. Some griped about this, but I'm OK with a non-manicured run course.  

Click for larger view

 I went out just a bit too hard on the run, and started feeling it with a little bit to go.  I didn't fade per se, but I didn't kick it into the finish either.  I didn't lap Karen until just before the end.  She had a mighty race, and knocked about 1/2 hour off her previous best time. Here are our lines:

Click for larger view

All in all, an excellent weekend.  Worth doing again, in my opinion.

No comments: